Why Westonka? It's the Best of Both Worlds!
Westonka offers lower class sizes and individual attention along with a wide variety of co-curricular opportunities and a full portfolio of honors and college-level courses. Our passion for innovation and academic excellence means our graduates leave prepared for college and success in the 21st century. Learn why Westonka is the district of choice for so many families in the western suburbs.
The Westonka School District serves approximately 2,300 students, grades preK-12:
National Blue Ribbon Primary Schools
Both of Westonka's primary schools have been awarded National Blue Ribbon Awards by the U.S. Department of Education for "exemplary education."
AP District Honor Roll
Westonka was one of only 11 Minnesota districts named to the College Board’s 2012 AP District Honor Roll for increasing access to AP Exams while also increasing the percentage of students earning scores of 3 or higher (usually the minimum to earn college credit).
Strong Student/Teacher Ratios
Average Class Sizes in 2021-2022:
Primary School: 19.23
Middle and High School: 21.89
- The Westonka Public Schools Edge21 Technology Plan furthers the district’s commitment to increasing student learning and engagement and to ensuring that all Westonka students are college and career ready by the time they graduate
- 1:1 devices in grades K-12
- Secondary students use mobile devices at school and at home as the primary way to access curriculum
- Learn more about Edge21
Strong College Prep Program
- College counseling and planning begins in 7th grade
- Strong portfolio of Advanced Placement Courses
- College-in-the-Schools Spanish
- Post-Secondary Enrollment Options
- College credit-bearing Project Lead the Way engineering program
- Districtwide engineering curriculum
- 56 AP Scholar Awards for exceptional achievement on 2021 AP Exams
- 51% of AP Exams earned a score a 3 or higher (usually the minimum to earn college credit)
- 2021 ACT composite score: 23.4—exceeds the 21.6 state average and 20.3 national average.
- Learn more about post-secondary readiness
Generous Community Support
- Financial support from local educational foundation
- 2016 bond referendum passed to build community athletics & recreation center and performing arts center, which are now open on the high school campus
- Over $392,000 in locally sponsored scholarships awarded in 2022
- 6 state tournament teams—Gymnastics (1st), Jazz Dance (4th), High Kick Dance (4th), Boys Basketball (5th), Girls Swim (6th), Girls Cross Country
- Westonka also sent individuals to state in wrestling, boys cross country, boys golf, and track and field
- 120 MWHS students competed at the state DECA meet and 30 qualified for DECA Internationals in 2022
- 1 DECA team earned a first-place Internationals trophy
- 3 Minnesota Scholastic Art Awards in 2022
- 17 Spotlight recognitions from Hennepin Theatre Trust, including Outstanding Overall Production, Outstanding Overall Technical Team and three Outstanding Individual Performance awards
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Kevin Borg, Superintendent
Sarah Grimm, Coordinator
8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Hilltop Primary School
Michael Moch, Principal
9:05 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Shirley Hills Primary School
Scott Eidsness, Principal
9:05 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Grandview Middle School
Christine Keeley-Zachow, Principal
8:10 a.m. - 2:50 p.m.
Mound Westonka High School
Jolene Herfel, Principal
8:20 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.