Internet Acceptable Use Policy
Before students use different web-based educational tools, staff members at each school will discuss with students appropriate use of technology based on District Policy #5160, Internet Acceptable Use and Safety. The policy provides guidance on student use of technology.
Digital Technology Tools
Westonka Public Schools uses a variety of digital tools to support student learning. Technology vendors and software is utilized to support work as we help all students develop the skills necessary to succeed in an ever-changing world. We have an inventory of our curriculum, testing, and assessment tools available on our Parent Technology Resources page and include an outline of the student data elements within each tool. This list is maintained and communicated annually to all families at the start of the school year. Please reach out to Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning Mark Femrite at (952) 491-8002 or at firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions regarding specific digital tools used in classrooms.
Six Principles of Being a Digital Citizen
Students using district technology will exhibit good digital citizenship by conducting themselves appropriately and following the Six Principles of Being a Digital Citizen:
- Respect yourself. I will show respect for myself through my actions. I will select online names that are appropriate. I will use caution with the information, images, and other media that I post online. I will carefully consider what personal information about my life, experiences, or relationships I post. I will not be obscene. I will act with integrity.
- Protect yourself. I will ensure that the information, images, and materials I post online will not put me at risk. I will not publish my personal details, contact details, or a schedule of my activities. I will report any attacks or inappropriate behavior directed at me while online. I will protect passwords, accounts, and resources.
- Respect others. I will show respect to others. I will not use electronic mediums to antagonize, bully, harass, or stalk people. I will show respect for other people in my choice of websites: I will not visit sites that are degrading to others, pornographic, racist, or inappropriate. I will not enter other people’s private online accounts and websites.
- Protect others. I will protect others by reporting abuse and not forwarding inappropriate materials or communications. I will avoid unacceptable materials and conversations.
- Respect intellectual property. I will request permission to use copyrighted or otherwise protected materials. I will suitably cite all use of websites, books, media, etc. I will acknowledge all primary sources. I will validate information.
- Protect intellectual property. I will request to use the software and media others produce. I will purchase, license, and register all software or use available free and open source alternatives rather than pirating software. I will purchase my music and media and refrain from distributing these in a manner that violates their licenses.