Decisions to close school are made to protect students from the potential harm of severe weather and other hazards.
When possible, decisions to close school or delay the start of school will be made by 6 a.m. and the decision to dismiss school early will be made by 11 a.m. School closing information will be communicated through:
- Parent/staff notification system (automated voicemail)
- District and school websites
- Social Media (Facebook and Twitter)
- Local Media Outlets - WCCO-AM 830, WCCO-TV Channel 4, KSTP-TV Channel 5, KARE-TV Channel 11
When Westonka District 277 schools close due to severe weather, all extracurricular activities, community education classes and private events scheduled through the facilities use supervisor for Community Education and Services will also be canceled.
Update Your Information
Westonka Schools asks that all families use Skyward Family Access to ensure that the district has the most current phone numbers and e-mail addresses in the event of a weather-related closing or other announcement. The Skylert messaging system is set up to make calls to a primary phone number for food service and attendance announcements; a primary and secondary number for general and non-school hours emergency announcements; and three phone numbers for a school hours emergency message during the school day.
For most families, it will be most beneficial to have home and/or cell phones set as the primary and secondary numbers and a work phone set as the third number to be used during the school day.
To make sure that you are receiving these calls at the correct phone numbers, please take the following steps:
- Log into Skyward Family Access with your username and password
- On the next screen, select "Skylert" from the left menu. You will see a page already populated with your family information
- Make any necessary changes and select "Save." You only need to do this once, even if you have more than one child in the district.
Community Education Weather Cancellation Hotline