Summer 2020 UpdatePer Governor Tim Walz Executive Order 20-81, beginning on Saturday, July 25, 2020, all staff, students (grades K-12) and patrons will be required to wear a face covering when entering a district facility. This applies to all community education programs as well as the Westonka Activity Center. There are some exceptions to this requirement. For additional details please see the link below. If you have any questions, please contact the Westonka Community Education office at 952.491.8040 or email communityed@westonka.
k12.mn.us.Thank you for your understanding and support to help keep all Minnesotans safe!
Summer hours are now in effect: the Educational Service Center is open by appointment only from 8 am to 4 pm, Monday through Thursday, and Fridays from 8 to 11 am.
As we continue to navigate through these unprecedented times, we are appreciative of your patience and understanding. We are hearing from you and your needs for connection, knowledge and inspiration and we will do our best to meet those needs.
Summer 2020 classes and activities will be held while following the guidance from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE). We are purposely designing our programs to meet all health and safety procedures. What does this mean for you:
- Smaller class sizes and/or classes held in larger spaces
- Increased virtual classes versus in-person
- Staggered start and end times to accommodate drop-off and pick-up of students
- Health screenings for staff and students
- Individual supplies, reducing the need to share materials
- Increased cleaning of classroom spaces and supplies
- Social distancing strategies
Swim Lessons Update Summer 2020After much consideration our Community Education Team has decided that all group swimming lessons scheduled for the summer of 2020 will be cancelled due to COVID-19. We have exhausted all options in trying to find a way to provide group lessons while following the safe distancing and protective guidelines from the MDH and the CDC. While we know that this is disappointing to all, it is our top priority to keep our instructors, participants, and their families safe. All families will receive a full refund.As an alternative to group swim lessons we will be offering individual instruction for swim lessons this summer. This will allow us to follow the MDH and CDC recommended safe distancing and protective guidelines.
These lessons will take place in a one to one or one to two (must be family members and have similar skill level) learning situation with no more than six participants in the pool along with their assigned instructors at one time. As instructors will provide instruction, direction, & demonstrations while observing current safe distancing and protective guidelines, they will not be in close physical contact with participants. Please note: Swimmers who require support while in the water must have a parent or responsible adult in the pool with them. Each 30-minute lesson will be held Monday through Thursday for two week blocks: June 15 - 25, July 6 - 16, and July 27 - August 6.
You are currently able to register for this new format on line at www.westonkace.org or by calling our office at 952.491.8040.
Please feel free to reach out with any questions. We appreciate your understanding in this matter and very much look forward to starting group lessons again in 2021.
Youth Recreation Programs Update Summer 2020
Summer 2020 Youth Recreation programs will now have new registration options:
Families can still register as usual and pay the full program fee. A full refund will be provided if the program is canceled or pro-rated if the program is modified.
Another option includes registering with a $0 fee initially by calling CE office at 952.491.8040. A valid credit card must be on file to complete the registration. Each coach or program director will email participating families once program details and final fee amount have been determined. Community Education will then process payment once the program officially begins and you will receive an email confirmation of the charge.
Registration Summer 2020
Dear Westonka Community,
On behalf of the entire Westonka Community Education & Services team, I would like to thank you and share how incredibly grateful we are for your patience and understanding during this unprecedented time. We have all experienced some heartwarming gestures over the past few weeks and it reminds me of what an amazing community we have. There is no doubt that the Westonka Community knows how to pull together and support each other during challenging circumstances.
We are excited to show you the wide variety of activities and programs that we have planned this Summer for students of all ages. We remain hopeful that many of these programs will still be able to be offered. We know that circumstances change by the day and sometimes by the hour. Please refer to our website for the most up-to-date information about Summer programming. There is no penalty for if you register for a Summer program and the program cancels; we will credit or reimburse the registration fees for all canceled activities.
A couple of reminders as we move through the Spring season:
1. We continue to offer emergency childcare for our community's emergency workers during this critical time. I am extremely proud of the work that our childcare staff has done in providing a safe and supportive learning environment for these children. For more information, please visit our website at: westonka.k12.mn.us/covid19/
2. I am extremely proud of our ECFE and preschool staff who continue to work hard to provide distance learning opportunities to our youngest learners. This is quite challenging as much of the learning at this age is hands-on and focuses on social and emotional skills. They have done a tremendous job in a very short amount of time to make sure that our families remain connected. It has been gratifying to hear stories of students and teachers engaging through their virtual classrooms.
3. The Westonka Activity Center continues to look at ways to provide programming to our members, including offering digital fitness classes and events. We are also looking at ways of providing some of our enrichments classes through a digital platform. Stay tuned for more information!
4. Free meals are available for students during the school closure. Westonka Foodies and Westonka Bus Service have teamed up to provide these meals. Parents and students can pick up these meals outside of the Westonka Performing Arts Center at MWHS or along designated bus routes. For more information, please visit westonka.k12.mn.us/covid19/
5. A reminder that all playgrounds and athletic field are closed to the public until further notice. By limiting social interactions, we can all decrease the chance of transmission of Covid-19 in our community.
Again, thank you for your continued support in this journey. We are all in this together! #WestonkaSpirit
Director for Community Education & Services