Elementary Gifted Education Services (GATES)
Objectives of the Elementary Gifted and Talented Education Services (GATES) Program are:
- Empowering students to challenge themselves academically
- Developing skills in logic and creative thinking
- Nurturing student self-expression and development of talent
GATES provides opportunities for children in grades K-4 to grow and be challenged through:
- differentiated learning in the classroom
- independent studies (if applicable)
- grade and subject acceleration (if qualified)
- extracurricular activities
- small group instruction
GATES staff members provide curriculum resources for students and teachers, along with support for parents of students in the program.
About GATES staff
Michelle Borowicz has worked in the Westonka School District in grades 2-5 since 1990. She holds a bachelor's degree in elementary education and master's degree in curriculum and instruction.
Mindy Barrett has worked for Westonka Schools since 2003, serving grades 4, 6, 7 and 9. She holds bachelor's and master's degrees in elementary education K-6 and 5-8 mathematics license from Saint Mary's University in Winona, Minnesota.