Be at School Every Day, On Time
Report your child's absence or tardy by 8:00 AM
Please contact Piper Clipper by 8 am if your child will not be at school:
Enter the absence through Family Access
Call the Attendance line (952) 491-8490
or send an email to
Shirley Hills Primary School Attendance Policy
It is important for students to be in school as much as possible. It is your responsibility to let us
know when your child will be absent.
- You must call or email the school by 8:00 a.m. to let us know your child will be absent.
- If we do not hear from you, we will call to check on your child’s welfare and remind you to
call the Attendance Line (952) 491-8490 to report future absences.
- Each student is allowed 12 absences due to illness. Any illness absence after 12 requires
a doctor’s note for the absence to be excused.
- Professional appointments (doctor, counselor, legal, etc.) will be excused only if we
receive a note from the professional.
- If no reason is given for the absence, the absence will be unexcused.
- Students need to be in their seats at 8:55am to be considered on time.
District policy allows a student up to five (5) days of vacation. For the sixth day, and any days after that, a
vacation petition form must be completed, using the following process.
- Parent will request the Vacation Petition Form from the school office, advising dates of school to be missed.
- Office staff will give the Vacation Petition to the classroom teacher to enter homework make-up plans and return the form to the parents.
- A consultation between Mrs. Howard and the classroom teacher may occur.
Westonka Public Schools will follow the Hennepin County and state guidelines for reporting students who are truant.
- The school will inform parents in writing when we have recorded three (3) or more unexcused absences for a student. Please know that five (5) unexcused tardies equals 1 unexcused absence.
- When the school has recorded six (6) unexcused absences, the parents will be referred to the County for a parent meeting.
- When nine (9) unexcused absences are recorded, the parents will be referred to County officials; the absence report will be reviewed by the County and could result in a Juvenile Court hearing.
Reporting guidelines can be found on the Hennepin County be@school page