Westonka Public Schools is a 1:1 district providing each student grades 5-12 with a district managed Chromebook. As a Google Apps for Education district, we believe the Chromebook is the most effective educational device for students to use at school. Having a district managed and maintained device allows the following:
- All students are provided the same technology opportunities
- Westonka applications and digital curriculum can be delivered effectively
- Allows content on student devices to be filtered at school and at home
- IT and Media staff are trained to support issues with Chromebooks
- The device is compatible and configured for local, state and national testing
- District Insurance and On Site repair programs keep cost low and turnaround on repairs quick
For these reasons, we expect all students to use the school issued Chromebook and to have this device charged and ready to use in all classes during the school day. Students may supplement the Chromebook with personal devices outside of school, but will not be allowed to bring personal devices to class.
MWHS Chromebook Distribution
Chromebooks will be distributed at Fast Start on Wednesday, August 21st for All MWHS students in grade 8-12. We highly encourage families to pick up Chromebooks from 2:00-7:00pm on this date to insure students are ready to use the device on the first day of school.
Prior to Chromebook distribution all families are asked to complete the Chromebook Insurance Form Each student should bring a completed form to the MWHS Fast Start, GMS open house or the school's main office by August 30th. Rates for insurance remain at $40 per student with a $100 cap per family.
The insurance fee can be paid online through Skyward Family Access or in person at MWHS Fast Start or GMS Open House by cash or check. Families who opt not to take insurance still need to complete the form and will be responsible for any repairs.
Chromebook Cases at MWHS
All students are required to use a case to transport their Chromebook. The district will provide students will a high quality durable case at no cost. However, MWHS student have the option of purchasing their own alternative case. Students who want a case that better fits their style and needs will find a wide variety of case colors and styles. The district recommends the following:
- Cases that are designed for Chromebook 11-11.6 inches
- Padded and water resistant. The should be a case not a shell, skin or bag.
- Avoid purchasing cases with handles which cannot be removed for storage.
iPrism: Logging In at Home
When using your Chromebook at home, you should first log in to your home's wireless internet connection. After that, you will receive our iPrism firewall sign-in. The log in format for students is the following:
Password: 00Student ID
Here are instructions for the iPrism Login
We also encourage students to use the Proxy Auto Auth Extension, which allows you to login at school and save credentials so you don't have to log in to the pop-up box.