Why Westonka? It's the Best of Both Worlds!
Westonka offers lower class sizes and individual attention along with a wide variety of co-curricular opportunities and a full portfolio of honors and college-level courses. Our passion for innovation and academic excellence means our graduates leave prepared for college and success in the 21st century.
Learn why Westonka is the district of choice for so many families in the western suburbs.
National Blue Ribbon Primary Schools
Both of Westonka's primary schools have been awarded National Blue Ribbon Awards by the U.S. Department of Education for "exemplary education."
AP District Honor Roll
Westonka was one of only 11 Minnesota districts named to the College Board’s 2012 AP District Honor Roll for increasing access to AP Exams while also increasing the percentage of students earning scores of 3 or higher (usually the minimum to earn college credit).
Strong Student/Teacher Ratios
Average Class Sizes in 2017-2018:
Primary School: 21.00
Middle and High School: 23.85
- The Westonka Public Schools Edge21 Technology Plan furthers the district’s commitment to increasing student learning and engagement and to ensuring that all Westonka students are college and career ready by the time they graduate
- 1:1 devices in grades 1-12—students use mobile devices at school and at home as the primary way to access curriculum.
- Learn more about Edge21
Strong College Prep Program
- College counseling and planning begins in 7th grade
- Strong portfolio of Advanced Placement Courses
- College-in-the-Schools Spanish
- Post-Secondary Enrollment Options
- College credit-bearing Project Lead the Way engineering program
- Districtwide engineering curriculum
- 32 AP Scholar Awards for exceptional achievement on 2018 AP Exams
- 56% of students taking AP Exams in 2018 scored a 3 or higher (usually the minimum to earn college credit)
- 2018 ACT composite score: 24.1—exceeds the 21.3 state average and 20.8 national average.
- Learn more about post-secondary readiness
Generous Community Support
- Financial support from local educational foundation
- 2016 bond referendum passed to build community athletics & recreation center and performing arts center, which are now open on the high school campus
- Over $124,000 in locally sponsored scholarships awarded in 2018
16 Consecutive Years of 'Best in State' MCA Performance
Westonka students, from the primary schools to the high school, scored in the Top 10 districts in the state on 2018 Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments (MCAs). Overall, Westonka is ranked #12 in the state in math and #15 in the state in reading.
- Grade 3 is ranked #8 in state in reading
- Grade 4 is ranked #6 in state in reading
- Grade 5 is ranked #2 in state in math, #8 in state in reading
- Grade 6 is ranked #2 in the state in math
- Grade 7 is ranked #8 in the state in math
- Grade 10 is ranked #6 in the state in reading
- Grade 11 is ranked #7 in the state in math
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Kevin Borg, Superintendent
Sarah Grimm, Coordinator
8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Hilltop Primary School
Michael Moch, Principal
9:05 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Shirley Hills Primary School
Scott Eidsness, Principal
9:05 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Grandview Middle School
Christine Keeley-Zachow, Principal
8:10 a.m. - 2:50 p.m.
Mound Westonka High School
Mark McIlmoyle, Principal
8:20 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.