- Westonka Public Schools
- District Home
Westonka Health Update from District Nurse Kelly Mattson
Dear Westonka Families,
We have recently received questions about the district’s plans and procedures surrounding the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV) that was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China and which continues to expand. Westonka Public Schools has been in close contact with the Minnesota Department of Health, which receives regular updates from the The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on this evolving public health situation. While the immediate risk of this new virus to the American public is believed to be low at this time, everyone can do their part to keep our schools and communities healthy.
It’s currently cold and flu season; and the CDC recommends getting vaccinated against the flu, taking everyday preventive actions to stop the spread of germs, and taking flu antivirals if prescribed. The following are everyday habits that can help prevent the spread of several viruses:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Always wash hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick. Parents, please follow the School Guidelines for Keeping Young Children Home Due to Illness.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. Or if a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into your arm, not your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
We will inform families if the Minnesota Department of Health recommends any changes to our district’s current health procedures. If you have specific questions, please feel free to contact me directly.