- Westonka Public Schools
- District Home
MWHS Hosts Community Collection Drive for WeCAN
December 4, 2019 — The winter holidays are an exciting time for most people; however, not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to afford everyday items. With that in mind, Mound Westonka High School Student Senate is hosting a week-long collection drive Dec. 5-12.
The group will be collecting much needed personal care items for families and individuals served by Western Communities Action Network (WeCAN). Some items to consider donating are baby care products, personal care products, household cleaning supplies, and household paper goods.
Sweet Deal: Student Senate is hosting a friendly competition between all grades! The entire winning grade with the highest weight of items will earn ice cream treats delivered during their homerooms on Wednesday, Dec. 18.
Sweeter Deal: Students who bring their donations to the lunchtime or curbside pick-up will have the opportunity to enter their name into a raffle where one student from each grade will have the chance at a $20 gift card to Target. Students are responsible for completing their raffle slips and entering them into the buckets during lunches.
Items will be collected starting Thursday, Dec. 5, and running through Thursday, Dec. 12. Students will have the option to donate in three ways:
- Curbside Door Collection: Senate will meet students at the Courtyard Student Entrance and the North Doors on Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings (7:45-8:15 a.m.) to gather items on the spot. All items will be tagged for student grade.
- Lunchtime Drop-Off: Students can bring their items to the lunchroom where Senate will have a table for collection each day of the drive.
- Convenience Box: Drop your items in the boxes labeled by grade available in the D-Wing Hall outside D202/D205 classrooms. These boxes will be up every day and students can place their donations in the designated grade.
Visual tracking signage will be posted in the lunchroom, as well as on Twitter, and updated each day to see just which grade is in the lead.
Staff members are encouraged to participate in the drive this year. Advisor Jamie Harms said, "The more items we can collect, the better!" Staff can bring items to any of the drop-off options above and make their donation on behalf of the grade level of their choice.
Cash and check donations are graciously accepted as well. Please make checks payable to WeCAN and deliver them to Harms’ room (D202).
WeCAN is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization whose mission is to empower and equip individuals and families to reach stability and self-sufficiency. Their vision is that families and individuals will thrive in a vibrant community with full access to resources and support services. To learn more about WeCAN, visit wecanmn.org.
Needed Items this Holiday Season:
Personal Care Products
- dental floss
- body wash
- hand soap
- lip balm
- first aid items
- face wash
- all-purpose cleaner (409, Lysol)
- glass cleaner
- toilet bowl cleaner
- bathroom cleaner
- dish soap
- disposable cleaning wipes
- dusting cloths
- laundry soap
- dryer sheets
- disinfectant spray
- dishwasher detergent
- paper towels
- toilet paper