- Grandview Middle School
- Grandview Home
Support Our Schools by Becoming a Substitute Teacher
July 23, 2020 — Westonka Schools is anticipating that the district will need a larger pool of substitute teachers in order to operate school this fall. Therefore, Westonka is asking all community members to consider supporting their local schools by becoming a short call sub for the district. If you or someone you know is interested in being a short call substitute teacher, the time to start the application process is now!
Short Call Substitute Teacher Rate of Pay: $175.00/day during the COVID-19 pandemic
In addition, Westonka will reimburse the PELSB licensure fee ($91.95) once you have subbed for five full days in a Westonka assignment.
What is a short call substitute teacher?
- A short call sub may only teach for 15 consecutive days in one classroom assignment, in any subject or grade level
- Education Requirements: You must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college/university. Official transcripts must be provided.
- Experience: No experience is required to receive a three-year, short call substitute teacher license.
How do I become a sub with Westonka Schools?
- Complete Westonka Schools’ online job application Short Call Substitute Teachers for 2020-21: Substitute Teacher Online Application.
- Complete Westonka's employment forms, which will be provided after the online application has been submitted.
- Create an online account with Minnesota's Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB) and complete the Short Call Substitute Teacher / Tier 1 License Application: https://mn.gov/pelsb/aspiring-educators/apply/.
- PELSB will ask you to consent to a criminal history background check, submit a fingerprint card, submit official transcripts (in the sealed envelope) and pay an initial licensing fee of $91.95. Westonka will reimburse the PELSB licensure fee ($91.95) once you have subbed for five full days in a Westonka assignment.
- Note: It would be beneficial to order official transcripts (mailed to you; do NOT break seal), order the fingerprint card from PELSB and get fingerprints recorded at a police station ASAP. These can be done prior to submitting the license application.
- If you have questions about the licensure process, please contact PELSB at email@example.com.
- If you already hold a current Minnesota Teaching License or Short Call Substitute Teaching License, then you can skip to the next step.