Distance Only Option
We understand that fully in-person or hybrid learning may not be what’s best for every student and family. A Distance Only Option is available to enrolled students who may be medically vulnerable or who are otherwise unwilling to return to in-person learning. In this model, students participate in distance learning five days a week with instruction delivered by licensed Westonka teachers. Meals will be available to students participating in distance learning via curbside pick-up.
Families choosing 100% distance learning through Westonka Public Schools will be asked to register for this model on a quarterly basis. If family circumstances have changed and you need to switch to the Distance Only educational model mid-quarter, please contact your school office. Distance Only registration for the fourth quarter will open March 1-10 in Skyward Family Access.
Students who cannot be physically present in the classroom due to illness or exposure to COVID-19 will also participate in distance learning.
Support for Distance Learners
1:1 Technology: All K-12 students will have access to a district-issued device (iPad or Chromebook) to support their in-person or distance learning. Technology support will continue; internet access will be provided to families in need.
NEW Distance Learning Coordinators: The position’s responsibilities will be determined by each building’s needs and will include some or all of the following job duties:
- Serve as a distance learning teacher for students in a distance learning model.
- Work with students that are disengaged or struggling with their learning in the distance learning or hybrid model.
- Provide teacher support with the execution of effective distance learning lessons.
- Serve as a contact for parents and guardians who have children learning in the distance learning or hybrid learning model.
- Serve as contact to building principals on the status of instruction and student learning in the distance learning or hybrid learning model.
Technology Support: Are you experiencing difficulty with any of the online tools, logging into a specific app or connecting to your wireless internet? Please fill out a Parent/Student Tech Support Ticket and a Westonka support person will contact you between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.