Distance Only Option
We understand that fully in-person or hybrid learning may not be what’s best for every student and family. A Distance Only Option is available to enrolled students who may be medically vulnerable or who are otherwise unwilling to return to in-person learning. In this model, students participate in distance learning five days a week with instruction delivered by licensed Westonka teachers. Meals will be available to students participating in distance learning via curbside pick-up.
Families choosing 100% distance learning through Westonka Public Schools will be asked to register for this model on a quarterly basis. If family circumstances have changed and you need to switch to the Distance Only educational model mid-quarter, please contact your school office.
Students who cannot be physically present in the classroom due to illness or exposure to COVID-19 will also participate in distance learning.
Quarter 2 Distance Only Registration
Distance Only registration for the second quarter of the 2020-21 school year is now closed. If family circumstances have changed and you need to switch to the Distance Only educational model for quarter 2, please contact your school office.
Support for Distance Learners
1:1 Technology: All K-12 students will have access to a district-issued device (iPad or Chromebook) to support their in-person or distance learning. Technology support will continue; internet access will be provided to families in need.
NEW Distance Learning Coordinators: The position’s responsibilities will be determined by each building’s needs and will include some or all of the following job duties:
- Serve as a distance learning teacher for students in a distance learning model.
- Work with students that are disengaged or struggling with their learning in the distance learning or hybrid model.
- Provide teacher support with the execution of effective distance learning lessons.
- Serve as a contact for parents and guardians who have children learning in the distance learning or hybrid learning model.
- Serve as contact to building principals on the status of instruction and student learning in the distance learning or hybrid learning model.
Technology Support: Are you experiencing difficulty with any of the online tools, logging into a specific app or connecting to your wireless internet? Please fill out a Parent/Student Tech Support Ticket and a Westonka support person will contact you between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.