Action requested to help secure possible funding for Westonka district
Dear Westonka Families
Westonka Foodies has been asked to reach out to families and urge households to complete an application for Educational Benefits (free or reduced price meals) if their household income falls within any of the categories below.
School district financing is complex and funding is based on a number of criteria. Not only do students receive free or reduced priced meals if qualified for Educational Benefits, school districts financial funding is sourced by educational benefits including compensatory income (per pupil allotment), Title 1 (services helping to ensure that all children meet challenging state academic standards), etc.
Families may have opted not to apply for Educational Benefits because Westonka Foodies is able to serve all students no cost breakfast and lunch in SY20-21. Unfortunately, the number of families that have completed an application for Educational Benefits is down significantly and this will impact our districts funding & budget. If you have already completed a SY20-21 application for Educational Benefits, no action is needed.
Completing an application is easy and can be done online at Skyward Family Access or with a paper copy (link):
- Skyward Family Access – Login and select Food Service from the left hand quick links. Then from the drop down menu at the top left of the page select a student’s name. The application link will be at the top right of the screen.
- Paper application - Complete and scan/email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to (952) 491-8083.
$ Per Year
$ Per Month
$ Twice Per Month
$ Per 2 Weeks
$ Per Week
Add for each additional person
Contact Deb Bailey at (952) 491-8088 or email@example.com for any questions or need help completing the application for Educational Benefits (free or reduced price application).
Laura Metzger, RD., LD., SNS
Director of Food and Nutrition Services
Free & Reduced Price Meals
Your children may qualify for free meals. To apply for free school meals, complete the Application for Educational Benefits following the instructions. This also helps our school qualify for additional education funds and discounts. Therefore, it’s important and encouraged that Westonka Public School families apply for Educational Benefits
How can I receive an application for Free or Reduced-Price meals?
- The application is mail to every enrolled student household in August
- Pick an application up at any Westonka school office
- Current school year applications are available on our district website in August
- Skyward Family Access: Log in to Skyward Family Access and select Food Service and then complete the online application
- Call or email Food & Nutrition Services at (952) 491-8088 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click on the application link below
SY20-21 Application for Educational Benefits (Free/Reduced Meals):
* Online Application | Free & Reduced Application can be completed on Skyward Family Access. If you need help with your household's login or password, please contact Westonka Foodies.
* Other Application Translations (link)
Applications may be submitted anytime during the school year. When completing the form, applicants should include only the last four digits of the signer’s Social Security Number, address, signature, as well as income information for all household members. An incomplete application cannot be processed until all information has been provided.
Forward completed applications:
- Mail: Food & Nutrition Services, 5905 Sunnyfield Road E., Minnetrista, MN 55364
- Fax: (952) 491-8083
- Scan and email: email@example.com
- Or drop the completed Application at any Westonka school location
Free and Reduced Price Meals are available to families who believe they may qualify. If your family chooses to apply please complete a "Free and Reduced Meal Price Application Form." You will be notified by email of your child's status. Until notification, you must provide your child with a meal or money for school meals.
Only complete one application per family. The information you give will be used to determine or prove your child's eligibility for free or reduced-priced meals. This information may also be used for other state or federally funded school benefits.
Factors considered in the application process are the household size and total household income. HOUSEHOLD SIZE is considered all persons, related or unrelated: Including parents, children, grandparents who live in your home and share living expenses. The TOTAL HOUSEHOLD INCOME is the income each household member received last month before taxes - this includes wages, social security, pension, unemployment, welfare, child support, alimony, and any other cash income.
Foster children are categorically eligible for free meal benefits. An application is not needed yet there does need to be documentation of status by a state or local entity familiar with the child's status. Foster children may be included in the household application as part of the household size.