Westonka News Submissions
We have learned a few things over the years as to what works well for Westonka News and what doesn't, and we would like to share our submissions guidelines with you.
These guidelines are for coaches, advisors, teachers, staff, student and parent volunteers. The guidelines are designed to streamline the process for everyone. Coaches and advisors please forward them to your parent PR and photo volunteers.
Note: The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in submitted articles are those of the individual writers and do not necessarily reflect those of Westonka Public Schools or the Westonka Activities Department. All articles submitted for publication are subject to editing. We reserve the right to edit or remove any post for any reason.
Deadlines for Submission:
Tuesday NOON for current week's Friday newsletter (The same deadline as The Laker)
Send to: Westonka News: email@example.com and The Laker Pioneer: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You might also want to consider sending to Lakeshore Weekly News: email@example.com.
- Limit stories to 500 words or less
- Varsity sports stories only - may include brief JV updates within varsity story
- Game highlights - NOT play by plays - in a written summary of the game or event
- More than just winning games - send great individual or team efforts, awards for academic achievement and, of course, those winning games and BIG conference wins, section, division and state games
- Not just a laundry list of stats - please write an article
- Include student player names, positions and grade levels (e.g., senior captain Bill Smith, right guard NOT Bill Smith (12) NOT 12th grader Bill Smith)
- Please double check spelling of names for accuracy
- NOTE: White Hawks is two words plural always. Not a White Hawk but a White Hawks player or athlete, White Hawks goal and White Hawks award. (Think Vikings and Twins)
- Non-sports stories about extra-curricular successes, individual and team achievements and recognition, upcoming events, volunteer projects, student and school fundraisers for charities
- Sports stories about wins, team awards, player achievements, captains and other officer positions and nominations
- Calendar of upcoming events ideas
- Sorry, sports team fundraisers are not accepted
- JV, middle school and primary sports stories are accepted only on a case-by-case basis.
- Email stories and photos together if possible
- Label photos with Team Name, Game/Event and Date (e.g., Dance_StateJazz_5-21-10)
- Include a caption with description of each photo and reference photo label
- Include player(s) name and position(s) in caption
- NOTE: Captions are always appreciated even if we don't print them; they help us identify players and games to match the stories
Photo taking tips:
- Set camera to highest quality setting HQ
- Optimal minimum file size: 1600 x 1200 pixels
Photo e-mailing tips:
- Do not compress or optimize your photos
- Select only your best shots and send as JPGs
- E-mail in small batches - 2-3 maximum per time
- SEND NO MORE THAN 12 photos per event - photos are very time consuming to edit and sort through. Select your best shots.
Photo editing tips:
- Crop minimally and keep original proportions
- Do not use the sharpen option - it creates white specks
- Do not over edit or use the color saturation option - it creates problems