In-Person Learning Model
In the in-person learning model, students attend school in person 5 days a week, Monday-Friday.
Schools will create as much space between students and teachers as is feasible during the day, but are not held strictly to enforcing 6 feet of social distancing. Westonka schools will follow all requirements outlined by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and Minnesota Department of Education (MDE).
Students will have high-quality, research-based and engaging teacher-led instruction every day. The first few weeks will have a strong focus on building relationships, identifying learning gaps, and helping students feel engaged and connected to their school.
Shirley Hills staff will give extra attention to helping young students adjust to being back in school, interacting with friends and strengthening academic skills.
In-Person Learning at Shirley Hills
- Shirley Hills will run a similar schedule as in years past except specials will have a 5-minute break in between each class for teachers to clean and sanitize their room.
Health & Safety Protocols
- Shirley Hills will follow Health & Safety Protocols outlined by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH). Shirley Hills families can expect:
- Masks required for students and staff
- Self-screening reminders sent home and posted
- Students/staff screened by nurse when needed
- Social distancing reminders posted around school
- Students encouraged to bring their own water bottles as opposed to using drinking fountains. Bottle refill stations will be available.
- Masks required for students and staff. Masks and lanyards (to avoid setting down/mixing up) will be provided by school
- No sharing of school supplies where possible
- Staggered dismissal times for bus students and pod areas for pick up students
- Distancing during lunch - no more than four per table
- Hallway transitions with safety of students in mind
- Dividers between student learning spaces
- Students will go directly to classrooms after arriving to school on the bus.
- When dropping off we ask that students arrive on time, not early or late.
- Students will have a breakfast option each day
- Students will utilize a grab and go option for lunch each day
- Students will eat in their classrooms or in the lunchroom depending on spacing options
Mental Health and Wellness
- All classes and students will continue with our Social Emotional Learning plan including Second Step Curriculum, PBIS Positive Behavior Expectations and Character Education focused on bully prevention.
- Recess will continue as we know children need to run, play and socialize. Playground groups will adhere to our pod structure and will play in designated areas separate from the other pods.
- Adventure Club will be offered onsite for regular before- and after-school hours. Families were prioritized in the order registrations were received in May. Tier 1 families are not given priority in this model. To be added to the waiting list, please contact Child Care Coordinator Ashley Tupper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All students will have an iPad available for use for a 1:1 experience.