COVID-19 Distance Learning Plan
If the situation occurs that a school or all schools need to be closed due to the threat COVID-19, the district intends to provide instruction to students. This will primarily be accomplished through the use of online learning and district-issued devices, such as Chromebooks and iPads. This will require the full cooperation of students, teachers and parents/guardians to make this instruction meaningful and in compliance with Minnesota statutes.
English Learner and Special Education services will continue if distance learning goes into effect. Teachers will plan instructional activities that align with student needs.
Attendance on a Distance Learning Day
Students will be marked present on distance learning days unless they are reported absent. For students in grades K-12, enter your child’s absence in Skyward Family Access using the absence reporting process. Enter your child’s absence in Skyward if he or she is not able to participate in distance learning on each day.
How to Report an Absence in Skyward Family Access
- Log in to Skyward Family Access
- Click "Attendance" in the left hand column
- Click "Absence Request" (top middle section of screen)
- Click "Add Request" next to student name
- Fill out relevant information, including dates, reason for absence and comments
- Click "Save"
You may also send a message to your school’s attendance email or call the school’s attendance line if your child is not able to participate in distance learning on each day. Please include the child’s name, grade, and a brief reason for absence. Please include length of absence if known.
Options for Contacting Your Student's Teacher on a Distance Learning Day
- Send your child’s teacher an email to their school email address.
- Call your child’s teacher and leave a message on their school voicemail. Teachers will listen to voicemail messages and respond via email.
- Teachers, principals and other licensed professionals will be available by email or phone (via voicemail) from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Staff will respond to all communication requests in a timely manner during scheduled hours.
- Staff contact information can be found in the Westonka Public Schools Staff Directory.
Contact Technology Support on a Distance Learning Day
Are you experiencing difficulty with any of the online tools, logging into a specific app or connecting to your wireless internet? Please fill out a Parent/Student Tech Support Ticket and a Westonka support person will contact you between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Grade-Level Distance Learning Plans
Preschool, ECFE and ECSE Students
Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE)
Early Intervention (Early Childhood Special Education birth-age 3)
Preschool for 3's and 4's
Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE)