This information is intended to provide updates on Westonka Public Schools' response plan to the outbreak of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus. This is a rapidly evolving situation, and recommendations change daily or even hourly as new information becomes available.
The best ways to prevent and stop the spread of illness are to stay home when sick, cover your cough, and practice good hand hygiene.
The Minnesota Department of Health shared the following tips for preventing the spread of COVID-19:
- Stay home when sick. Symptoms of COVID-19 can include fever, cough, shortness of breath, chills, headache, muscle pain, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell. Other less common symptoms include gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. Talk to your health care provider if you have questions or concerns about symptoms.
- Stay home as much as possible, even when if you don't have symptoms.
- Stay at least 6 feet from other people if you are in public places.
- As of July 25, 2020, per the Governor's Executive Order 20-81, people in Minnesota are required to wear a face covering in all public indoor spaces (including schools) and businesses, unless alone.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Wash your hands often, with soap and water. Wash for at least 20 seconds.
- Always wash your hands after being in a public place.
- Always wash your hands after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizer that is at least 60% alcohol.
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. Cough or sneeze into your elbow or a tissue. Throw used tissues in the trash.
- Keep your house and all the people in it extra clean to stay healthy. This can help stop infections from spreading.
- Clean and disinfect things that people touch a lot: counters and other surfaces; telephones, remote controls and other devices; doorknobs, stairway railings and other objects.
Communication to Parents/Staff
How to Safely Wear Your Mask
How to Wash Your Hands
Cleaning Hands With Hand Sanitizer